Wired Networks – Security by Design
All of the networks managed by Andisa are designed to be secure as possible.
We will normally configure;
- VLAN technology to limit which devices can communicate with each other.
- DHCP Snooping to stop viruses changing PC settings remotely.
- SNMP diagnostic information so that we get automatic warnings for problems and bottlenecks.
- PRTG network monitoring to detect faults.
- PoE power for phones etc so the number of cables to a desk is reduced.
- Gigabit to the desk. Typical switches provide 100Mb/s to the desk with the central devices connected to a limited number of 1Gb ports. This was done in the past to reduce cost. However Gigabit to the desk means your network is running 10 times faster, so saving files just happens more quickly. For the small cost saving on a modern switch its not worth restricting staff.
This all relies on having a manageable switch on the network. Simple switches cannot be managed or give any diagnostic information. However a managed switch will let us configure all of the security features and also give us a diagnostic view of the network so we can manage it remotely and more often.
The end result is a better network that performs well and is easier to fix if the inevitable happens.
We recommend the Zyxel range of network switches because as a business partner Zyxel provide training to all of our staff and also manufacture state of the art, competitively priced network equipment.
For example the 24 port switch costs just £245.99 yet even as a simple managed switch it will secure your network and overcome many regular problems.
Adding PoE so that the power block can be removed from phones increases the price to £316.89!